Monday, February 18, 2008

What would you do if you had incontinence?

I just responded to an interesting question on the Holdingit discussion board. iloveholding asked "What would you do if you had incontinence?"

Wikipedia defines incontinence, or more specifically urinary incontinence, as the following:

Urinary incontinence, or enuresis, is the inability to hold urine in the bladder due to loss of voluntary control over the urinary sphincters resulting in the involuntary passage of urine. It is often temporary, and it almost always results from an underlying medical condition.


There are actually several kinds of incontinence. I'm not going to get into them here, however. I think that iloveholding was referring the more severe types where a person just plain can't control themselves, and not, say, stress incontinence where you pee yourself if you sneeze or pick up something heavy.

I would probably be in favor of some kind of temporary incontinence just so it wouldn't take so long for my bladder to become really full and desperate. If someone told me that I was going to experience incontinence for the next seven days--say that I was taking a medicine that had side effects--then I would try to spend as many night as I could drinking lots of water, holding, and then wetting myself uncontrollably. Were I to suffer permanent incontinence as the result of an accident, I would take advantage of this as much as I could. I would take pleasure in holding my bladder for as long as I could until I was forced to relieve myself in the adult diaper I no doubt would be wearing. I don't know if I would be able to just pee myself without really feeling the need to go, but perhaps this would change with time.

I was the first to respond to this topic on the HoldingIt board. On it, I wrote:

Incontinence would be a both a curse and a blessing for me. It would be a curse, because I wouldn't be able to hold as long as I'd like to, but at the same time it would be a blessing because I would have an excuse if anybody ever caught me after I wet myself. I could just explain that I have a condition, and then maybe they would understand--maybe they would even feel sympathy for me. Or, maybe they would confess that they have a thing for people who have wetting accidents and begin a long and very fulfilling relationship.

No comments: